Description
Maliyadeva College (Sinhala: මලියදේව විද්යාලය) is a national school controlled by the Sri Lankan central government. It is located in Kurunegala, Sri Lanka, and was established in 1888 by the Buddhist Theosophical Society, led by Colonel Henry Steel Olcott. It is one of Sri Lanka’s oldest schools. Today, the school accommodates 5,000 students. The term “Devans” is used to refer to the former and present pupils of Maliyadeva College.
History
In June 1888, a new school with one student was opened at a place in Bodhiraja Mawatha near the present Central Bus Stand in Kurunegala, by Semenaries A. Bamunu-Arachchige. He was a young Maha-Vidane who had been put in charge of four villages by Maha-Mudaliyar Bandaranaike and Colonel Henry Steel Olcott. He was assisted by local donors, Hulugalle, Adikaram, and Mudaliyar Attygala. The school was named Kurunegala Buddhist Institution.
By 1908, the number of students had risen to one hundred, still under the leadership of Maha-Vidane Semenaries. In 1909, the school was moved to a new premises at a Buddhist Temple, Ethkanda Viharaya, along the Kandy – Kurunegala main road. This decision was made by the Mudaliyar Bandaranaike and Maha Vidane Semenaries.
In 1922, the school’s management was changed from the Buddhist Theosophical Society to the YMBA. Dr. H.K.T. De Zylva became the new manager.
The school was still governed by B.A Semenaries who, being a Maha-Vidane, had the power to change anything if given permission by the Mudaliyar of the province. In late 1927, Maha-Vidane Semenaries changed the school’s name to Maliyadeva College. B.A. Semenaries retired from governing the school in 1931 and, after forty-three years as Maha-Vidane, he gave the position to Bandaranaike’s son, the future prime minister of Ceylon. Before leaving, Maha-Vidane Semeneries appointed U.B. Wanninayaka (who later became a politician and government minister) as the principal in 1930 and abolished the manager system. Sir Henry Olcott died in 1907. Maha-Vidane Semenaries died in June 1945.
In 1934, a batch of students from the Maliyadeva College appeared for the SSC Examination (equivalent to current GCE) for the first time.
By 1936, the premises at Ethkanda Viharaya were not big enough. Former governor Maha-Vidane Semenaries and Mudaliyar Bandaranaike, who was on his last term, gave the order for the school to be moved to its current location along the Negombo – Kurunegala road. The land was owned by Madawala Disawa and was bought by H.K.T. De Zylva.
P. De S. Kularatne was appointed as the manager in 1941. He changed the status of the school into a mixed school.
Due to the Second World War, the school buildings and land were taken over by the Army in 1942. The school had to be shifted back to its previous location at Ethkanda Viharaya. By then, the number of students had increased to over three hundred and sixty.
The primary section of the school was moved to a new location along the Colombo – Kurunegala road in 1944. This later became the Maliyadeva Girls’ College.
In 1946, the school was handed back to the YMBA by the army. Only the boys were moved back, and the Maliyadeva Girls’ College began functioning as a separate school. In the same year, Maliyadeva College became a Government assisted school. The number of students had increased to 800.
In 1949, the school was upgraded to the status of a Grade 1 school. University Entrance (Arts) and SSC (equivalent to current GCE) Science classes began and D.B. Dissanayaka was appointed as the vice-principal during this year.
In 1951, students appeared for the University Entrance (Arts) and SSC (Science) Examinations for the first time. T. B. H. Abeysinghe was the first student to enter the University from Maliyadeva College. Later, Abeysinghe rose to the position of professor of history.
University Entrance (science) classes were commenced in 1953. Wanigasekara was the first graduate science teacher appointed to the school. In 1955, A. P. K. Thilakarathna was the first student who passed the SSC (Science) Examinations for the first time.
According to the Education Policy of the incumbent government, the status of the school changed from government-assisted school to a government school in 1961 during the take over of all assisted schools. The YMBA handed the school over to the Ministry of Education.
Maliyadeva had won the all-island awards in oriental music and orchestra competitions for many years consecutively. 1979 saw an end of an era as D.B. Dissanayake retired after serving the school for fourteen years as the principal. By 1985, the number of students had risen to 3000. The school was upgraded to the status of a National School by the Ministry of Education under the reorganization of schools.
Facilities
Facilities include playgrounds, swimming pool, basketball court,Indoor stadium, children’s parks, computer labs, medical and dental centers, two-storied shrine for Buddhist monks, gymnasium, library, botanical, zoological, physical and chemical labs, hostel, canteens, co-operative shops, milk bar, buses and a van.
Gallery
Advertisement
Categories
Contact Details
Secondary Phone Number
Address
Contact Business
Advertisement
Location
Address
Maliyadeva College Administration Building, Negombo Rd, Kurunegala, Sri Lanka
District
Facebook Page
Reviews
Want to leave a review? Please sign in or sign up first!
Timelines
Google Reviews
No results available
CeylonPages is Sri Lanka’s free platform built to empower local businesses and connect communities. More than just an online directory, we help businesses showcase their services, accept bookings, share exclusive offers and coupons, promote events, and even run email campaigns – all in one place. For customers, it’s the easiest way to discover, engage, and support what’s happening around them. For businesses, it’s the smartest way to grow. CeylonPages puts local power at your fingertips. Spread the love!
© CeylonPages 2025 | Made with ❤ in Sri Lanka
Product not available